Saturday 22 December 2012

Perfectly middle aged


It’s a joy to be totally healthy

As my laptop boots up on the train,
And to know that I’m really quite wealthy
With a house, plus a villa in Spain.
But this feeling of loss never goes now,
And this feeling that I've been caged:
I suppose this must be what it feels like
To be perfectly middle-aged.

Yes, my family’s perfectly darling,
And my friends influential and bright;
And I’ve switched to Rioja from Carling,
Yet I still wake up screaming each night.
And at work I am known and I’m rated,
And I win corp’rate battles waged,
And I dress in Paul Smith (understated)
Since I’m perfectly middle aged.

And I’ve dabbled in shares and in stocks, mate
Because profit’s no longer a crime.
No, I don’ t watch a lot on the box, mate -
Cos I really don’t have any time.
So I’ve started to listen to arias
And I went to that Damian Hirst cow.
Yes, I’m really now jumping the barriers
To be perfectly middle brow.

Yes, I’m terribly cosseted, matey,
And my life is a little cocoon.
And I’ve noticed that sometimes, just lately
I start thinking: Please, Death, take me soon.
Where’s the passion, the joy, the exploring?
God - it’s years since I felt outraged!
Maybe that’s why it’s perfectly boring
To be perfectly middle aged.

No comments:

Post a Comment